Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Racey the First (the Second)

So on Colin's birthday, we were at Target, because it was a Saturday, and that's what we do... and Colin started having a whiny meltdown, because we were at Target, and that's what he does.  In an attempt to make him laugh and salvage our trip, I grabbed this weird "wooden" squirrel off an endcap and said, "Hey, do you want this funny squirrel?"

Of course, he immediately lit up and snatched him from me.  Mike was thrilled that we were now apparently buying a weird wooden squirrel to come home with us.

I was a little baffled at Colin's immediate connection to this random squirrel.  But, since it was his birthday, I figured, we'd just go with it. I suggested we name him "Rally" since the Cards were playing in the world series that night.  He immediately said, "No.  His name is Racey."  Ok.  Why not.

This squirrel turned Colin into a new kid.  He zoomed through the aisles with his squirrel, yelling "Racey to the rescue!!"  People were turning and laughing as Racey was put on shelves, had some bottled water to drink, and was flown through the air by a manic four year old.  And then, in the dairy section, in front of the shredded cheese, Racey met his tragic end.  He flew out of Colin's hands, through the air, and landed on the hard tile.  And cracked in half.  Apparently he was not actually made of wood after all.  And was not really intended for flight at the hands of a preschooler.


"Not a Toy."  Thanks Target, I got it. 


I have to hand it to Colin, he handled Racey's demise well.  He gave him a kiss and as I shamefully walked him back to stuff him behind some towels somewhere, he announced dramatically to the sample lady, "I have lost my squirrel!"  It was tragic.

If you've ever shopped at Target I'm sure you know that was the only one they had in stock.  We got a little white stuffed squirrel instead, but it just wasn't the same.  Colin half-heartedly named him "Racey Number Two."  That night, he came to bed with Colin, who sadly said, "Mommy, I wish I could see Racey Number One again."

Well, what else could I do but go online and see if Racey was in stock there.  He was.  So for the record, I am now that mom that has purchased two fake squirrels to make my four year old happy.  But I dare you to look at this and TELL ME I WAS WRONG.



Before bed, I got a huge hug and a kiss, and Colin said "Thank you for getting Racey back, mommy."  Worth it all.

No comments: