Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

28 months!

I apologize for the lack of blogging as of late.  Our life is chaos, but good chaos.  Zoe and Zach came up for a quick visit this weekend and Zoe got to witness me actually forgetting how old my kid is when some woman asked me at gymnastics.  Awesome.  So I thought I should pause and recount Colin's 28 month achievements before I blink and he's three already. 

Here's what Colin's up to at 28 months:
  • Talking up A STORM.  I think he talks more than me or Mike now.  Complete sentences, articles, pronouns - his speech has just exploded recently.  One cute thing he mixes up is "me" and "you".. so he'll come up to me and ask, "mommy carry you?" or "mommy chase you?"  which is adorable.  It also gives us a fun glimpse into what is going on in that crazy little head of his.  This morning he saw a squirrel outside and asked, "I hold it?"  I said, no, you can't hold squirrels (we have this conversation more frequently than you might think) and he said, "No.  I am too loud to hold the squirrel."  HAHA.  Because obviously that's the problem.  Every morning on the way to school he tells me "Don't touch the sun! Very very hot! Too big to hold it!  Too far away!"  Clearly, he's going to be some kind of space physicist.   

  • He started copying me and calling Mike "Michael."  We try to correct him but it's just so cute.  He usually says it in a scolding voice (as I'm sure he is copying me) and then cracks himself up because he somehow knows its funny.



  • He is STILL obsessed with the laundry, or more specifically now - towels.  He LOVES towels (and will now tell you, "I love towels!  Blue towel, brown towel, yellow towel!").  He drags towels around the house with him, searches for them in the closet, sometimes sleeps with them.  He likes to stuff our whole washer full of towels, then empty them onto the floor, then do it all over again 18 times.  I thought this was seriously weird, but it has been reported to me that my husband was also obsessed with towels at that age, so as with most of his bizarre personality traits, I credit Mike.


  • His memory is incredible.  He reminds us of things that happened weeks ago.  He knows the route to places and gets mad at us if we drive another way.  He repeats phrases that we said days ago.  I'm not such a big fan of that item.


  • He loves counting and numbers and loves to "touch the numbers" on alarm clocks so he can point the numbers out to us. 


  • He's definitely got the terrible twos attitude going.  Lots of tantrums, screaming fits.  He still refuses to eat 98% of what we feed him.  He particularly loves to refuse to eat dinner and then sweetly ask a couple of hours later, "chocolate pudding please?"  


  • He's also learned to try to negotiate with us about his fits.  As in, he'll throw a screaming tantrum b/c I won't let him hold a whole bunch of bananas (yeah.. we stopped that game recently) and then suddenly he'll stop crying and offer up the alternative, "I hold ONE banana?"  It is nice being able to reason/bargain with him a little.  I negotiated the eating of 6 green beans last night in exchange for watching Yo Gabba Gabba.  So basically, I am getting some value out of my law degree.


  • Speaking of Gabba, we're thankfully getting a break from Thomas the Train and he's on a YGG streak.  Zoe and Zach were subjected to several episodes of Gabba this weekend.  That had nothing to do with why we all went out drinking Saturday night.   Here's Colin requesting his favorite show:



    • He's still very active (one of his favorite activities is to run laps in the house while yelling "RUNNING!") and I am honestly shocked he's still sleeping in his crib.  The other night, I saw him get his whole leg up on top of the bars, so I fear our days are numbered before the little monkey figures out how to escape. 
    • He's just the smartest, funniest little guy.  I can't believe he's almost 2 1/2 already! 

    No comments: