Colin got to check out LeClaire Park, where mom spent most of her childhood playing. I loved getting to see him playing in the same park, though most of the playground stuff I played on has been removed and replaced. Apparently giant metal slides with no railings are considered unsafe now? Colin loved the lake and the fountain.

After the park we stopped in to the Cup to visit mom's friend Erin. Colin sat on a stool and charmed the ladies at the cupcake shop. I think he was looking for a freebie.
Although we were just home a few weeks ago, we made the trip down for Emily and Jeremiah's shower/party. Colin even attended the party and cracked everyone up by heading straight for the fan in the kitchen and standing in front of it. It was HOT. Here we are roasting outside.
It was great seeing Emily and we got to catch up over some drinks and amazing fireworks over Dunlap Lake that night. Good thing we went back for fireworks because our plan to go watch fireworks at the Arch the next night fell through due to weather!
The next day, Colin spent an afternoon playing with his new friends Noah and Isaac over at mom's friend Liddy's house. I wish I had taken pictures of the boys together, they were so cute all climbing into the slide together and laughing. Noah shared his trains and Isaac gave him a hug. Colin is quite popular!
He even felt charitable that afternoon and let me hold him on my lap for 15 seconds!
Colin spent most of the weekend asking to go "outside?" He loves G and Grandma's front porch. Even though it was rainy on Sunday, we spent most of the afternoon on the porch. Colin got lots of airplane rides from Aunt Zoe!
And he got to have fun with Uncle Adam, who even started teaching him the fundamentals of front porch soccer, which is a long-standing Weller tradition.
It's rare for all three of us to be in the same place at the same time. We had lots of fun celebrating Adam and Zoe's birthdays and getting to hang out together Sunday night.
So this cemetery right by my parents' house has this lake that no one knows about.. it has a pier for feeding ducks and geese and the 10,000 fish that live in the lake. My friend Jeni and Adam and I spent one summer going there every afternoon. I decided it was just the thing for a little boy who was bouncing off the walls on Monday morning. Even though it felt a bit weird to take Colin to play in a cemetery, he LOVED it.
We ran out of bread so I had to give up my "mom stash" of animal crackers in my purse. Colin ate about every other one I passed him, but he was nice enough to share with the ducks and fish.
Hope everyone had a fun fourth! Photos here: http://tinyurl.com/6jrcxwh


2 comments:
Ohhh. I remember going to that lake with our big sodas and snacks for the ducks and swans :)
those were great days! Making all of our super-serious 19 year old life decisions there :)
Post a Comment